Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lure Review-Zoom Trick Worms

Since switching to bass as my primary target species (3 years ago), my primary confidence lure has been a Zoom trick worm. These worms are of good quality and come in a variety of colors. What's better is that they are relatively cheap. If you lose one, it is only going to cost you about $0.20 as opposed to $5 or more with crankbaits. My two favorite colors for day time use have been watermelon seed and plum. These work well in relatively clear to stained water. For evening or murky water I usually switch to black to help the fish see it. I generally texas rig these 6" worms on a lead jig head and bounce them through rocky places, around points, and up rock walls (I bank fish). The are also good for docks and wood cover, but I would recommend rigging them weightless in weedy situations. The lead head just seems to pick up too much greenery.

The size of the lures never seem to limit bass, either large or small. Small bass even as small as 10" will take a crack at the worms and so will bass up to...well as big as they get. The biggest ones I have caught to date would have gone over 17" or 18". The lure is versatile, bass love worms, it will catch a variety of sizes of fish, and it is cost effective. How could you go wrong?

2 comments:

  1. here's my question. if real bait supposedly works better, and you really only have to use plastic bait in bass fishing, what's the reason to use fake bait as an amateur? if it's the colors, you should just spray paint some actual worms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I like the idea of spray painting actual worms...although I don't think the worms would care for it. Actually the real reason to use fake worms is that it allows me to exclude smaller fish like bluegill from the mix (usually) and just target larger bass.

    ReplyDelete