Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lure Review: Renegade Tennessee Shad

What has become my favorite crankbait (bear in mind that I am mostly a finesse fisherman) is a crankbait sold under Walmart's Renegade brand. It is a minnow type bait in the color Tennessee Shad, I believe. It has a good profile, which very well approximates a minnow and it has a ball bearing rattle to get the fishes attention. When I have tested similar baits without rattles, this bait has out performed them. I don't fish crankbaits terribly often, but when I have, I have gotten a lot more bites on this one, including a very aggressive green sunfish who though he could have a go even if it was half his size. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it is cheap. Usually runs a little under two dollars a pop. Not too shabby when most cranks will run around five or six dollars. The only problem is that I haven't seen them on the shelves at Walmart recently. I hope they haven't been discontinued...

3 comments: